When a couple decides to separate or divorce, a lot of decisions must be taken:

    who is going to stay at home

    how you and your ex-partner will take care of your children

    how you are going to deal with previous debts

    which arrangements will be done about things you acquired together with your ex.

And the list goes on and on. The whole process of separating or divorcing can be exhausting and stressful.

Furthermore, the cost of litigation is an additional problem when you choose to solve the issue through court.

So a viable solution is to get help from the National Family Mediation service.

This organisation have experienced and professional mediators that can help families to solve conflicts and reach a resolution that is acceptable to all parties.

Keep reading and learn how a mediator can help families to solve one of the most common separating issues: the housing.

Housing options

After splitting up from your spouse, you may have doubts or disagreement with your ex about the housing.

Some people prefer to leave the house, some prefer to stay and some are even open to sharing the home.

But when you have children, this decision must be taken more carefully, since they can be particularly sensitive to changing locations.  It can make you find more knowledgeable by visiting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_mediation

In this sense, the mediator can guide you, in an impartial manner, so that you will be able to find the best solution, considering your financial situation, legal rights and, of course, your children.

One important detail to remember here is that when you are the owner of the house or were married, you have the legal right to stay in the home.

House tenancy options

If the tenancy is in your name, you are the legal tenant. This means you can stay in the house and you are also responsible for paying the rent.

However, if you were married, your spouse has legal rights, so she or he can occupy the house and can’t be evicted unless there is a court order.

If the house is rented with joint names, then both tenants can give the notice to quit, without the agreement of the other part. In this case, the mediator can give you advice about how you can prevent such a notice or how you can ask the court to transfer the tenancy to your name.

Considering that, a family mediation can really save your time and reduce stress. Besides that, with the aid of a mediator, you can end a relationship in a way that both parties are satisfied since the problems were solved collaboratively.

With the National Family Mediation service, you can get help from experts and solve not only housing but any possible separating issues. Get more information at the National Family Mediation website.